12 September 2006

Tweaking the particle engine

I've been wondering how to make good looking particle explosions for some time now. Seems that no matter what kind of image or parameters I used, the explosions always ended up looking like separate particles. Like this example image:



Today I finally figured that doing a double rendering pass on the particle layer using different glBlendFuncs, I can blend the particles together and achieve a much better result:



I'm also looking into recursive particle emitters (emit particles that emit particles that emit particles...).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! I can't wait to take a look at your stuff. Haven't had the time recently.

13 September, 2006 15:51  
Blogger Viserys said...

Fantastic! I was wondering what happened. I recently bought a Windows computer, so I look forward to being able to help test on Mac, Linux, and Windows! =D

15 September, 2006 23:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home