04 May 2006

Another Slow Month

...well, slow for O2D development. I have been very busy at work (the paying kind), so progress has been rather slow after the last update. I'm currently working on the first example game, the particle system and the camera system.

Pygext has an undocumented early prototype of the camera system, but for Opioid2D, it will be properly integrated from the get go. Instead of having screen coordinates, every Sprite will have "world coordinates" instead. The Camera object can be moved around, rotated and zoomed, as well as mounted into objects to e.g. create a game where the display automatically follows the player sprite. You can choose on a per layer basis, how the camera affects the layer to make static UI layers or layers that apply a lesser transformation (for parallax scrolling).

SHMUP-DEV just launched a new competition, and I'd really like to participate, but I'm not sure how I'm going to find time for it. May will be even busier than April work-wise.

6 Comments:

Blogger Viserys said...

Keep up the good work, I'm still looking for to the first release!

05 May, 2006 04:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

World coordinates sounds like a great idea. Does it mean you can have scenes larger than the screen, with automatic culling?

15 May, 2006 21:15  
Blogger shang said...

sean: Yep. That's the plan.

15 May, 2006 21:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great engine -- I'm a big Python fan. Any word on progress? Also, is there anything the community can do to help out? I know Python fairly well -- do need any testers or people to write small examples?

Keep up the good work.

--Mike

06 June, 2006 03:20  
Blogger shang said...

Hi Mike,

Sorry about the lack of progress reports. I've been under a lot of pressure at my day job, so I haven't done much with my hobby projects. Hopefully things will start to ease up a bit during this month.

06 June, 2006 11:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate that you're doing all of this on your own free time. Look forward to taking the engine out for a test drive when you get a chance to release it.

--Mike

06 June, 2006 20:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home