10 September 2006

Opioid2D first alpha release

The development of Opioid2D has progressed to the point that I'm releasing the first public version. It's still very much an alpha, but I'm aiming for a bit more frequent release cycle from now on.

More info and downloads from

http://trac.codereactor.net/opi2d

I was thinking about the license for a long time, but I finally settled on LGPL. I was going have a small licensing fee at first for commercial games once O2D reached the necessary maturity (mainly to cover development costs like domain and server rent), but I figured voluntary donations are the better way to go.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the release! Also glad to see the road map.

Are there any sample programs that use the game engine? Or will that wait until it's in beta?

Thanks again -- and keep up the great work!

11 September, 2006 23:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

12 September, 2006 02:51  
Blogger shang said...

Thanks! :)

mike: The source tarball has an "examples" folder that currently contains one (very simple) example game. I'll expand that game and add others as time allows during the alpha and beta.

12 September, 2006 10:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@shang: Thanks for pointing me to the examples folder. Great code for me to start look at.

@everyone: Also, if others want to see small examples, the 'test' folder is full of small test programs. You just need to put two image files (sprite.png and particle.png) in the folder to get the test programs to run.

13 September, 2006 22:20  
Blogger shang said...

Ah yes. The test folder doesn't really contain any good example code. It's mostly just quick hacks that I use for regression testing when refactoring something or adding new features.

I hope the small example game proves useful. It really needs more work, but currently adding more features to the framework is a higher priority for me.

13 September, 2006 22:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home